Accountants from LG&H, in conjunction with SBA and SCORE, provided a free seminar for new and potential business owners called “The 2015 Small Business Success Bootcamp” in Bangor on October 22.
We kicked off the day with Abe Furth, owner of Woodman’s Bar & Grill, Verve, and Orono Brewing Company, as our key note speaker. Abe shared with us the journey of his and his partners’ success. He recognized the value of the many small business assistance programs, many of which were in attendance that day either as presenters or at resource tables available to answer questions.
There were four breakout sessions offered by experts in the areas of business plans (Tom Gallant), financing your business (Jim Pineau and Kitty Barber), marketing (Cintia Miranda and Cary Weston), insurance (Scott Boucher), tax incentives (Jamie Logan), and legal matters that impact businesses (Roberta Winchell), and entity selection (Glenn Goodwin).
During lunch, guests heard from a panel of community resource experts who shared stories of experiences and bits of advice for the many entrepreneurs in the room.
- Jim Macomber – Penquis- Helping Today Building Tomorrow
- Jim Pineau – U.S. Small Business Administration
- Craig Saunders – Bangor Score: For the Life of Your Business
- Kate Grover – Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce
- Tom Gallant – Small Business Development Center and Coastal Enterprises Inc.
- Jane Searles – New Ventures Maine
- Kitty Barbee – Eastern Maine Development Corporation
- Jaimie Logan – Department of Economy Maine State Department of Economic and Community Development
- Nicole Gogan – City of Brewer Economic Development
- Deb Neumans Back to Business (Panel Mediator)
We received many positive comments about the seminar. Anyone with questions or who was not able to attend the seminar, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.